Monday, January 25, 2010

Making the announcement - February 2009

I so wish that I had started journaling during my pregnancy…maybe even before. It is hard to remember the order of everything that happened. I’m still going to try to tell the stories because I want the boys to have it so they will know how very much we wanted them…and what we went through to get them here (and honestly, to keep them here)!

So once we found out that we were officially pregnant, I wanted to shout it from the rooftops. I knew, however, that wasn’t the best idea. I was very NEW pregnant, and with what I would learn is called a “clinical” pregnancy. Plus, stuff just happens. Allen and I agreed to wait until I was twelve weeks before making the news public. We knew we had to tell our parents, but we just wanted to make sure things were good before announcing to everyone.

Our parents KNEW we had done the invitro cycle. Mom especially drove me crazy. “When are you going for your pregnancy test?” was the question asked lots! I finally told her we would be able to tell them something by Christmas. Once we heard we had to take all three of the blood tests for confirmation, we wanted to just be sure.

Christmas 2008 was on a Thursday. On the Tuesday night before, Mom and Dad came over for dinner. After dinner, we were sitting in the living room. I had finally, just for grins and giggles, done the home pregnancy test. I bought the one that actually said the word “pregnant” so there wouldn’t be any confusion. I handed it to Mom. She looked at it and PROMPTLY started gagging. Sympathy morning sickness? Excitement? Who knows! It was funny, though. We knew Nana Lynn and GrandBob would be excited…and they were. Mom’s phrase she couldn’t wait to share was “first there was one…then there were four!” Camilla had announced not too much before me that she was pregnant and due in May, so there would eventually be Jonah, Edie, Colin and Ethan.

Christmas Day, we had my parents and Allen’s parents over for dinner. I told them “we have some news…I am pregnant…(pregnant, ha, pause here)…with twins! Tommie (Allen’s mom) started crying and wouldn’t/couldn’t stop saying “Really? Really?” I told her after everything we’d been through I certainly wouldn’t be lying about that!!

The rough thing for everyone, except maybe for Allen, was keeping the news a secret. Mom kept talking to my tummy saying “grow babies, GROW!” She wanted me to get big quick so she could tell! Well, she got her wish. We finally agreed she could tell on her birthday which was about a month earlier than we’d hoped. The boys (we wouldn’t learn until later they were both boys) just made their presence known early, much to my clothes’ dismay! I remember the day we told…Mom, Margaret and Terry were in a meeting. I showed up with the ultrasound pictures and interrupted their meeting. I think Margaret’s scream might’ve been heard around the world! Mom called Julia, Biddie and Susanne. When I got back in the car, my phone rang…and it was Julia. I remember her saying “Michelle…you are living your dream!” She and Tom had prayed for me so much about a spouse and family…and it was coming true!

Mom and Dad had Mema and Troy, Kevin, Camilla and Jonah over…I think to celebrate her birthday. I do not remember now the exact dates…we might’ve even told them first…maybe even the weekend before telling everyone else. We were sitting around after dinner. Jonah and I were talking and I said “Jonah, can you say babies?” Before the word “babies” could come out of his mouth, which it did, Camilla’s head whipped around and her eyes got really big. I asked Jonah “can you say ‘Aunt Chelle’ is going to have babies?’” Well…Kevin came over and grabbed me in this really big hug and squeezed me so tight that I finally had to tell him “LET ME GO - I CAN’T BREATHE!” When we finally got to telling the details to my grandparents, I will NEVER forget Mema saying “are you big enough to carry twins?” We got a good laugh over that.

The news spread like wildfire. My way of telling was “I’m pregnant…with twins!” I think back now on the different reactions and how sweet most everyone was…and so excited for us! It is such a blessing to have family and friends that are so supportive. Boy, we didn’t know just how much we would need their support!

1 comment:

  1. That day was a day that will live in my memory forever!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete